Wednesday, November 14, 2007

When it rains.. It Pours

Here's a quick update on my life lately.

Sunday night, I went to our freezer in our garage (where I store all my extra meat and such) to get something for supper. I felt the ice cream and it was soft. I told Dave to go and check the breakers. So he flipped them all and went out there again. They were all working. So now I'm wondering if the fuse was tripped or if the freezer was a goner! I went out there Monday morning to find my ice cream still soft. This freezer is over 30 years old - we bought it from Dave's parents when we got married - so we did get our use out of it. I managed to salvage all my meat and just had to dump my ice cream and popsicles and things. I loaded it all into my van and took it to my Dad's and am storing it there for now. I headed to the appliance store and bought a new freezer which came this morning. Now that problem is taken care of.

Yesterday was a day care day and I was watching the 3 boys I take care of. There is a baby and a 2 year old and a 3 year old. They were running around in the living room. I just tell them to stop running and be careful or someone will get hurt and I turn away for a second and hear a cry. The 3 year old had tripped and fallen and landed on my glider rocker chair. He has cut his eyelid and was bleeding. It immediately starts to swell up. After settling him down for a while, he turns and says that his owie is all better. I'm thinking to myself, "yeah, right, go look in the mirror" I wasn't really worried about telling his Mom. (She knows these things happen and she was fine with it.) Then I put the baby down for his nap. When he woke up he was crying. So I pick him up and he's soaked through all his clothes. I start to change him and realize that it was a dirty diaper, BIG mess! Can this day get any worse? I picked up Chelsea from school and we delivered the papers. Actually, that went okay.

So Dave comes home from work and I tell him that we need some bread. So he says that he'll go to the store. He takes MY van. I finish getting supper ready and wonder what he's doing outside. He comes in and explains that he drove over a bolt and it's stuck in my tire. He can't get the spare down to change it. He wonders if I need the van tomorrow. "Yes, I have to take Chelsea to the store to get a birthday present for Shaelyn" He says that I can probably make it to the tire store with the bolt in the tire because it's stuck there. Fine! So I have to take the grubby truck to my volleyball game. Apparently, the defrost does not work well in the truck at all because everything was frosted up and I couldn't see. At least we won all 3 games!

After waiting for my freezer to come this morning, I head to the tire store. I can hear the little clicking sound of the bolt on the tire. As I'm coming to the light, I notice the clicking sound is no longer there. CRAP!! I go through the light, which is a beautiful pink color because I'm not going to stop. I'm thinking, "get out of my way people, I've got to get to the tire store before I'm flat!" Someone pulls nicely in front of me and then proceeds to try to turn left. Of course, they have to wait for someone else!!! I manage to go around them on the right and get to the tire store. I look and yes, the tire is pretty much flat but at least I'm here. I go into the store and explain the situation. "Which tire would that be Ma'am?" I think you'll be able to spot it. "Oh yes." They were able to plug it and I didn't have to pay anything for it. Thank goodness! But they did explain that these tires will make it, at the most, to April. Yeah, yeah, I knew that. Now I have to go out with Chelsea this afternoon. I'm hoping that my "bad luck" has run out. I want something good to happen to me next. So much for my pity party!





10 comments:

The Birds Nest said...

I hate that for you!! I completely understand. You can ask anyone who knows me because my entire life is like that!!

Laura said...

Wow! That is quite some day - well actually quite a few days! I'm glad everything is resolved - for now - though! Things should go well now though because I think you've filled your problem quota for at least the rest of they year! :)

Knit-Wit said...

Sounds to me like your bad luck was actually a bunch of good luck. You didn't lose much more than your ice cream and popcicles and you got a new freezer out of the deal. The little guy you take care of could have had his eye hurt so much worse than what had happened - thank goodness you didn't have to run him in for stitches! Your van made it to the tire dealer (barely) and you didn't have to pay a dime - I was expecting you to say you had to fork over a ton of money for a new tire.

A Captured Reflection said...

Oh I was just reading this, feeling the way the day was going and knowing the emotions I have when I have days like that. They are crazy days that seem to continue on a theme and you think - what the heck? May your day be fantastic and drama free tomorrow. A peaceful, cruisy day!

Mari said...

We are having issues too! Heather went back to school today and her car wouldn't start, so I had to take her and will have to pick her up. Bob's truck is at the shop and they found more wrong with it, so it will be about $750 and won't be done till tomorrow. It should drive better after this!

Jen said...

Oh man! At least you were able to save the meat. When we moved into our new house, I forgot to put 2 boxes full of hamburger away and my husband found them 2 days later. He threw them away without telling me. It was when I was running out of hamburger after only 4 months that he fessed up and told me. I was so mad at myself. It was about $400 down the drain. I hope your luck changes and things go better now!

Cheri said...

What is it with flat tires- we just had one go flat at church on Sunday. One of the guys said he could help so Mark ran home with him thinking he had a compressor. NOOOOO- they come back with a tire pump! The whole mens sunday school class was looking out the window laughing! We had run over a nail as well.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you as we are stilling without Alicia's car. It can be a real nightmare. I keep praying that God will show me something good out of the $3000.00 repair. At this point I'm having a tough time seeing any good, but I refuse to let the evil one have his way in this home.

Praying that your troubles are over and that peace and joy will return 100 fold!

Bonnie said...

Yucky day !! Hopefully you got it all out of the way on the one day instead of having it all spread out over a number of days ! Sometimes, that can be worse ! Thanks for inviting us all to the pity party ! We all need to have them every now and then and a party is just no fun if you have it by yourself !!! :)

Dena said...

dude - sucky day! you packed it full - at least you got a new freezer AFTER you did all your CHRISTmas shopping!