Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Chicken Chimichangas

I know I've told some of you about this recipe before but I made them again last night and everybody loved them. Even Chelsea, who seems to hate mexican food.

1 lb. boneless chicken, cubed
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. quick cooking rice (uncooked)
1/4 c. sliced ripe olives (optional)
1 1/2 c. mild salsa
1 to 2 tsp. chili powder
8 large flour tortillas
6 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
Oil for frying
Salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce,
tomato sauce and guacamole to garnish

In large skillet with a little oil, brown chicken with the green pepper. Stir in the rice, olives, salsa, and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cover. Let sit 5 minutes.

Heat tortillas as directed on package (microwave works best). Place 1/2 cup filling down one side of warm tortilla. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons cheese over chicken. Fold side nearest mixture up and over until mixture is covered. Fold in two other sides and roll up. Secure loose edge with toothpick.

In large skillet, heat 1/2 inch oil to 375. Fry filled tortillas in hot oil 30 to 45 seconds or until golden brown.
(I don't use the toothpick. I just put it in the pan with with folded side down to hold it until browned, then flip it over)

2 comments:

LeslieW. said...

Yum! I may have to try that next week! Thanks!...Kane will thank you too...he is sooo tired of the same old same old!

Mari said...

You have told me about those before. I will have to try them.