Monday, June 09, 2008

We fought the water and - WE LOST!

Most of you know about the bad weather that went through Saturday. We were watching "JAWS" (go figure) around 9:00 and I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. Water was pouring in through our sliding door. Dave and Katelyn went outside to try to put a barricade in front of the door while Chelsea and I searched for the hose for the wet vac. Meanwhile, water is continuing to pour in. There was about 3 inches of water on our cement slab that continued to come through. They finally managed to stop it from the outside while Chelsea and I vacuumed up the water on the tile floor. The water had seeped right into the carpet and into Katelyn's room. It is a horrible feeling to walk across your carpet and feel and hear squishy sounds! I used our vacuum carpet cleaner to try to suction the water out of the carpet but it really was not much good. There's just too much there. We were up till 1:30 cleaning. Dave was the only one to make it to church in the morning. The really awful part is that insurance will not cover water damage. That really stinks because we never claim anything. I wonder how much we've put into insurance and never gotten a dime out of them!
We got 5 inches of rain just on Saturday night. We got some more on Sunday afternoon. They are predicting storms for this afternoon and into tonight. Then we get a few days of relief with more predicted from later in the week. Our ground really needs time to absorb all this moisture. Pray that we get some relief!
Here's some pictures so you get an idea of what happened.


YUCK! This is the tile in the area in front of the slider door. Thank goodness
that we have that there! This is what I vacuumed up with the shop vac.
To the right a bit further than you can see, is where we have the carpet start,which got soaked.






This is coming into Katelyn's room. You can see our footprints
that are soaked with the water in the carpet.











This is our barricade. The water was coming down the hill to the
right. These are our bricks and wooden pieces set up.










Close up of the torn up grass. The cement pieces are
where the creek usually is.











Some of the trees falling into the water.












Here is the creek rising again on Sunday afternoon
You can see the patch of green grass that got ripped
away Saturday night. Usually, the creek is about 1/2
the size of the bridge.






Here is how our bridge is looking.
The creek must have risen right over top
and carried the railroad ties about a 1/2 mile
down the creek to the neighbors house.












12 comments:

Cheri said...

I am SO sorry- that is horrible. What a terrible mess to have to deal with.
That is so frustrating that insurance doesn't help with things that are truly out of your control!

Mari said...

Oh No! That is terrible. I know what a mess we had when we had water in our basement, but it was at least covered by insurance. I'm so sorry!

Cherdecor said...

Heavens to Betsy! I would be devastated! I bet that has never happened before! You really got walloped! How will you get that bridge back where it was? I guess you will have to take it apart carry it back, and rebuild it. I am so sorry for all the damage to your house, your trees and your bridge.

Laura said...

Oh no! That is awful. What a mess. Hopefully you'll be able to get it cleaned up soon. Bummer that insurance doesn't cover it.

Dena said...

YIKES - that's the worst - i told sister y'all need to move down here - we don't live in tornado/crazy weather ally!

Jen said...

That stinks! I hate dealing with ins. companies. I am praying that you guys will get at least a few days of sunshine!!! Hang in there.

kari and kijsa said...

Wow! What weather and what damage! Hopefully all will be fixed soon!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

The Birds Nest said...

I'm so sorry for you. That water mess is terrible. On the bright side, you still have a home. I saw that family on the Today show that lost their home to flooding in WI and my heart broke for them. I'm glad ya'll are okay.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had to deal with all of this. We used to get water in our basement at our other house and I dreaded it every time it rained. It's just the pits cleaning up that mess.

I hear you on the insurance thing. My dishwasher ran over and my kitchen floor is buckled. Of course we have a huge deductible to pay. I guess with the wedding coming I will just have to keep tripping every time I walk to my sink...ahhhh! I guess life could get much worse.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had to deal with all of this. We used to get water in our basement at our other house and I dreaded it every time it rained. It's just the pits cleaning up that mess.

I hear you on the insurance thing. My dishwasher ran over and my kitchen floor is buckled. Of course we have a huge deductible to pay. I guess with the wedding coming I will just have to keep tripping every time I walk to my sink...ahhhh! I guess life could get much worse.

Sheri said...

OH man!! We had a lot of problems around here too- only a teany tiny couple of leaks for us though, so I have nothing to complain about- we are lucky b/c we are on a hill.....but soooo many people got nailed! I hear you about the insurance co...there really should be something!!! So sorry.......

Brandi said...

Oh, this brings back terrible memories of the first house my husband and I bought. Every time it rained, which was quite often in TN, the front bedroom got soaked. I can relate to the squishy carpet thing!!!! It took 6 months for the builder to finally fix the leak.