Friday, February 01, 2008

What I've been Doing!


Yup, that's right - painting. I decided that's it's finally time to do my bedroom over. Funny how it seems that Mom and Dad's room is always the last to get done. Every other room in my house has had a makeover except my bedroom so...







This is the sad look of a very old fashioned bedroom - See the stenciling. Ugh!!
Please do not think that my room always looks so messy either - Everything got piled on my bed to make room for the moving of furniture. Chelsea, Shaelyn and I started the primer coat and taping on Wednesday, when she had a snow day!




Yesterday, Shaelyn continued to join me in painting the first coat. She actually was able to help out with the taping. She enjoyed doing some painting but was sad when I wouldn't let her use the roller.






This picture doesn't really show the true colors. I did 3 walls of a light brown and then the other wall was a deeper brown. I realize that the 4th wall looks kind of greenish brown but truly, it looks better than that and is a deep brown. My original intention was to do 3 walls of one color and the 4th wall, a different one. But then I spotted a rag roller. So I was going to do the 4th wall in a textured brown. It didn't happen! It was a real pain - You have to get the line you're doing, perfectly lined up with the previous line. After trying 3 strips of this, I gave up and painted over them and ended up with my original idea. I was a little bummed because I wanted one wall textured but I am happy with the new look. Now I just have to decide on some accent colors. Any ideas? I have to get a new comforter and curtains too. Hopefully, I'll find some good deals on sheets!


13 comments:

Melissa said...

It looks fantastic!
For accent colors, burgundy would look good!

A Captured Reflection said...

Looking good. Were you cold as you painted? I plan to paint my daughter's bedroom at some point, but it's too hot at the moment, I'd melt, PLUS I'm still trying to convince her that bright purple is not the best colour for her room.

Bonnie said...

Looks great !!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like the color of my bedroom. The darker wall is the color of my livingroom which my husband painted to surprise me...ahhhh! I'm still trying to get used to having such a dark room.

I wish I had good ideas for accent colors. I'm stuck with burgundy carpet and so the accents are limited for now.

Mari said...

It looks good. I like the 4th wall solid. Can't wait to see it in person.
You could do lots of colors for accents - burgundy, sage cream, dark blue...

Unknown said...

That is something I have to do someday to my whole house, any volunteers???
For accents you could use pale greens/creams & with a little lavender here & there. Burgundy is great too.

Cherdecor said...

Terri, the color you chose is a very popular color today. My daughter-in-law, Ainsley, and my son just moved into a new townhouse in Virginia (new Washington D.C.) and she chose the dark and lighter brown for her walls. She used Sea Foam as accents. In some rooms she painted the wall Sea Foam and used brown accents so the entire house came together.

I am sending you a picture of her living room at Christmas by email.

Cheri said...

Looks really good- you're right- the paint color looks much better in person!
Sage would be pretty in there and then it would match my living room!!!

Laura said...

I love it! I love those colors. I have the dark brown and taupe in my living room and my accent color is red of course. But I also love the blue and brown together.

I'm very impressed with Shaelyn also! I can't believe you wouldn't let her use the roller!

Jen said...

Still looks great!!!! I am having a hard time trying to decide what color to paint our room too. I wanted to do a purple color but my husband kinda wrinkled his nose on that option so I don't know what to do.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how much a can of make can make a huge difference! And for so little money and work, relatively speaking.

So, I guess that's what you do there when it snows, eh? :)

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

I have a few ideas...accents in white or accents in red would look great.

I am starting to get that bug again myself. My husband is afraid...and he should be!

Blessings, Joanne

Ally said...

I am sooooooooooo into the browns and autumn colours right now and think your bedroom looks lovely. I would go with a rusty color or even orange if you are that way inclined. Burgundy is definitely a good move too!